Beijing Olympic City Development Association Articles
(Approved by the voting of Inaugural Meeting of Beijing Olympic City Development Association, which is also called the First General Meeting on August 6th, 2009, and takes effect after being approved by Beijing Community Office, printed on September 30th, JACHF  No.1)
Chapter I General Principles
Article 1 The name of the Association is Beijing Olympic City Development Association (hereafter referred to as the BODA)
Article 2 BODA is a non-profit organizational legal person approved by Beijing Municipal People’s Government and registered with Beijing Civil Affairs Bureau.
Article 3 The purpose of BODA is to develop the Olympic spirit, extend the Olympic achievements, promote the sustainable development of Olympic & Paralympic causes in the city, contribute to the construction of Humanistic Beijing, High-tech Beijing and Green Beijing and accelerate the development of Beijing as a modern developed city and an international sports culture centre.
Article 4 BODA is governed and supervised over by the governing authorities: General Office and Civil Affairs Bureau of Beijing Municipal People’s Government.
Chapter II Scope of Operation
Article 5 BODA operates in the following areas:
(1) To mobilize social sectors to carry forward the Olympic spirit and boost the development of Olympic movement in the city;
(2) To support the welfare work including Olympic culture, education, sports, youth, people with disabilities and volunteer service etc., and contribute to the development of Beijing as a modern developed city and an international sports culture centre;
(3) To conduct sport related communications and cooperation with relevant international organizations such as World Union of Olympic Cities;
(4) To organize the implementation of projects to promote Olympic city development, Olympic research, and put forward recommendations on city development; and government decisions;
(5) To promote sustainable development of the Olympic & Paralympic causes. It will also encourage and support its member organizations to conduct relevant public welfare activities by providing a platform of events.
Chapter III Membership
Article 6 BODA exercises a membership system. The organizations, enterprises and individuals who are devoted to promoting the achievements of Beijing Olympic Games, carry forward the Olympic Spirit, accept the Articles of Association for BODA, recognize the purpose of BODA, identify with the concept of BODA and fulfill the social responsibilities and member obligations may become the organizational and individual members upon the application is approved.
Article7 Members of BODA are composed of organizational and individual members. The organizational members include the relevant organs of Beijing municipal government, China Disabled Persons’ Federation, universities and research institutes devoted to the development of the Olympic movement; Beijing Olympic & Paralympic Partners and Sponsors and local enterprises. The individual members include personages of high prestige in society who made remarkable contribution to the Games and people having great influences in related fields
Article 8 A member is admitted according to the following procedures:
(1) An application for membership is submitted;
(2) BODA Secretariat verifies the qualification verification;
(3) The Council approves the application;
(4) BODA issues membership certificate.
Article 9 The members are entitled to:
(1) The right to vote and to be elected,
(2) The right to attend activities of BODA;
(3) The right to obtain services provided by BODA;
(4) The right to offer criticisms, suggestions and exercise the power of supervision;
(5) The right to withdraw membership from BODA on voluntary basis.
Article 10 The members are obliged to:
(1) Abide by the present Articles of Association and implement the resolutions of BODA;
(2) Safeguard the legitimate rights and interests and reputation of BODA;
(3) Participate in activities of BODA and fulfill tasks entrusted by BODA;
(4) Report to BODA and offer necessary information and
(5) Pay membership fee as required.
Article 11 A member may withdraw membership from BODA on written notice and return of membership certificate. The membership is automatically lost in case of failure to pay membership fee and absence from BODA activities without reason.
Article 12 Any member that seriously violates the present Articles of Association will have its membership cancelled upon decision by the Council.
Chapter IV Organizational Structure
Article 13 The Conference of Members is the highest decision-making organ of BODA and exercises the following functions:
(1) To formulate and amend the Articles of Association;
(2) To elect and recall the Chairman, Executive Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary-General;
(3) To elect the Council, review its report of work and financial report;
(4) To decide on major changes and termination of BODA, and
(5) To decide on other issues of significance.
Article 14 The session of Conference of Members shall be convened with the attendance of two thirds of the members and any resolution shall be adopted by a vote with a simple majority of attending members.
Article 15 The term of the Conference of Members is 5 years. An election to be convened before expiration of term or postponed must be reported by the Council to the governing and registration authorities for approval. The period of postponement must in no way be longer than one year.
Article 16 The Council is the executive organ of the Conference of members and consists of the Executive Vice-Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary-General. The Council takes charge of the daily affairs when the Conference of Members is not in session and is responsible to the Conference of Members.
Article 17 The Council exercises the following functions:
(1) To execute the resolutions of the Conference of Members;
(2) To prepare for sessions of the Conference of Members;
(3) To report to the Conference of Members on the state of work and finance of BODA;
(4) To decide on the setup of the secretariat, branches, representative offices and entities;
(5) To decide on admission and dismissal of members;
(6) To deliberate on the appointment of deputy secretary-general and major responsible officers;
(7) To guide the work of BODA,
(8) To formulate internal rules and regulations, and
(9) To decide on other matters of significance.
Article 18 The Council is called to a Meeting every quarter. In exceptional cases the Meeting may be convened by videophone or telephone. A Council Meeting must be attended by two thirds of council members and any resolution must be adopted by a simple majority vote by attending council members.
Article 19 The Chairman, Executive Chairman and Council members of BODA must have the following qualifications:
(1) To adhere to the Party’s guideline, principles and policies with sound political quality;
(2) To play an exemplary role in abiding by the Constitution, laws, regulations and policies of the People's Republic of China;
(3) To be representative in the working field of BODA;
(4) To be under 70 years old as the Chairman, Executive Chairman and Council members, and the Secretary General works full-time;
(5) To be healthy and capable of taking the leadership of BODA.
Article 20 The Chairman, Executive Chairman and Council members of BODA who are over the age limitation must be adopted by the Conference of Members and approved by the governing and registration authorities of the government.
Article 21 The legal representative of BODA is the Executive Vice Chairman. The change of legal representative in exceptional case must be approved by the governing and registration authorities of the government.
Article 22 The term of the Chairman, Executive Chairman, Executive Vice Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary General is five years. And the tenure shall be no more than two successive terms. Term extension in exceptional case must be approved by two thirds of the Conference of Members, passed by the General Office of Beijing Municipal People’s Government and admitted by the governing and registration authorities of the government.
Article 23 The Chairman exercises the following functions:
(1) To call and preside over sessions of the Conference of Members;
(2) To examine the implementation of resolutions adopted by the Conference of Members;
(3) To sign documents of significance on behalf of BODA, and
(4) To authorize the Executive Chairman and Vice Chairman to sign documents of significance on behalf of BODA.
Article 24 The Executive Chairman exercises the following functions:
(1) To call and preside over sessions of the Conference of Members, as entrusted by the Chairman,
(2) To debrief the report of the Council and the Secretariat, guide the work of the Council and decide on matters of significance of the Council, as entrusted by Chairman, and
(3) To consider annual work plan.
Article 25 The Executive Vice Chairman exercises the following functions:
(1) To call and preside over Council Meeting,
(2) To examine the implementation of resolutions adopted by the Conference of Members and the Council,
(3) To sign relevant documents on behalf of BODA, as entrusted by the Executive Chairman, and
(4) To organize the formulation of annual work plan and fulfill the implementation of important tasks of the Council.
Article 26 The Vice Chairman exercises the following functions:
(1) To conduct his/her work according to division of labor, and
(2) To participate in the Council Meetings and call and preside over the related meetings, and
(3) To sign relevant documents on behalf of BODA, as entrusted by the Executive Vice Chairman.
Article 27 The Secretary General exercises the following functions:
(1) To be in charge of the daily operations of the Secretariat, call and preside over the Secretary General's Meeting;
(2) To formulate the annual work plan and submit it to the Council Meeting for approval, and be responsible for the execution of the plan;
(3) To guide and coordinate the daily operations of the secretariat, branches, representative offices and entities;
(4) To nominate the leading responsible officers and the full-time staff of the secretariat, branches, representative offices and entities for approval by the Council; and
(5) To handle other daily affairs.
Article 28 The Secretariat of BODA is responsible for the daily operations of BODA. The Secretariat is composed of five departments, the Administration Department, Media & Communications Department, Project Department, International Relations Department and Legal & Finance Department. All departments conduct the work under the leadership of the Secretary General.
Chapter V Asset Management and Usage
Article 29 Sources of funds of BODA are:
(1) Surplus funds from the preparation for and hosting of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games,
(3) Government support,
(4) Income from activities or services provide within scope of operation,
(5) Membership fees,
(6) Interests, and
(7) Other lawful incomes.
Article 30 BODA will charge membership fees from certain organizational members in accordance with national laws and regulations.
Article 31 Funds of BODA shall be used within the scope of operations and for caused provided in the present Articles. No resource is allowed to be distributed among members. Any embezzlement, diversion or misappropriation of BODA assets shall be punishable by law.
Article 32 BODA shall institute stringent financial management system and employ certified public accountant to ensure the lawfulness, truthfulness, accuracy and completeness of the association’s accounting information. The accountant shall not serve as cashier at the same time. The accountant shall carry out business accounting and supervision according to law and clear all relevant procedures when there is transfer of work.
Article 33 BODA shall follow the national financial management system in managing its assets, which shall be supervised over and audited by the Conference of Members and the fiscal authority. The use of funds appropriated by the government or donated by organizations or individuals shall be supervised over by auditing authority and duly disclosed to the public.
Article 34 Before election and replacement of the legal representative, financial auditing shall be organized by the registration and governing authority of the government.
Article 35 The salaries, insurance and benefits of fulltime staff of BODA follow the general rules established by the government governing public service institutions.
Chapter VI Termination and Asset Disposal
Article 36 The motion of termination of BODA shall be put forward by the Council when its mission is completed or when it has to be dissolved or discontinued for other reasons.
Article 37 The motion of termination shall be adopted by a voting of the Conference of Members and approved by the governing authority.
Article 38 Before its termination, BODA shall set up a liquidating team under the guidance of the governing and other relevant government departments to clear up the association’s creditor’s rights and debts and handle termination-related matters.During the liquidation period, no activity other than liquidation shall be conducted.
Article 39 BODA shall be terminated upon registration of its termination with the relevant registration authority.
Article 40 Under the supervision of the General Office of Beijing Municipal People’s Government and the social organization registration department, remaining assets after termination shall be used in causes related to the purposes of BODA according to relevant laws and regulations.
Chapter VII supplementary articles
Article 41 The present Articles of Association are adopted by vote of the Conference of Members on 6, August, 2009.
Article 42 The Articles of Association shall enter into force upon verification and approval by the social organization registration authority.
Article 43 An amendment to the present Articles shall be adopted by voting of the Council and submitted to the Conference of Members for its deliberation.
Article 44 The amendment of BODA shall be presented to the governing authority for approval within 15 days of adoption by the Conference of Members and enter into force upon verification and approval by the social organization registration authority.
Article 45 The Council holds the power to interpret the present Articles.